Translate

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Macrame is coming back

I was happy to find out in many home decor photos that macrame is back. And, among them I distinguished a simple plant hanger project that was so cool, despite its simplicity. And, I wanted to try it immediately. It’s not difficult to find its material anyway i found some cotton cords in my stash and there i go knotting a plant hanger for my house
Definitely macrame isn’t something new for me. I remember my mother making macrame wall-hangings and bags that she sent to my father who was on scholarship with Royal College of Arts London, this was around 1978’s
i learnt it around in my late teens and had made curtain for my Father’s office and a wall hanging for a friends 18th birthday



The word macrame is believed to be derived from an old Arabic word magramah.This referred to the ornamental fringe seen on the edges of scarves or shawls.
Later, the ornamental fringe showed up in England in tablecloths and clothing.
In the early 1800’s, seamen, who spent many hours at sea, made macrame an art peculiarly their own.
With rope being the most plentiful material on the ship, it’s hardly surprising that many of these men perfected this craft.
Sailors used macrame to help pass dull, off-duty hours. No doubt their knot tying earned them money in foreign ports too.
Macrame means; The art of using various kinds of knots to produce decorative patterns  If you know a few basic knots and have a little imagination, you can make an innumerable amount of things that are as beautiful as they are individual.

No comments:

Post a Comment